It's all in the details


The more I watch my students play this game, the more I realise there are so many different kinds of data I could have collected. Just because 2 people got the same score doesn’t mean that they got there the same way. The score doesn’t take into account how many mistakes they made or how quickly they were able to identify the notes and progress between the levels. It doesn’t show the way that their motivation went up and down in relation to right and wrong answers or the way that some of them seemed to be able to recognise certain intervals immediately whilst others they couldn’t work out at all. It also doesn't show how my actions influenced their scores. I was able to make a note of some of these things along the way, but there were so many details I missed because I didn’t have time to write down all my observations during the lessons. This project is supposed to be just an introduction to action research and to using technology in music education and the write up will be just 2000 words but if I was doing this again as a bigger research project I would video each person each time they play the game in order to capture all these details.

I was especially interested in how they responded to the 2nd level where they hear the note D and one other note and have to identify what that other note is. As I have mentioned in a previous post I have not spent time with my students teaching them to recognise intervals so this was a pretty new challenge for most of them. What fascinated me was that some of them seemed to have a natural ability to identify some of the notes. By this I mean that as soon as they heard the note they knew what it was.

One of my students seemed to have a natural ability to hear G, A and B. The other notes she found harder to recognise and had to think and sing before answering the question. When I asked her how she could recognise those 3 notes so quickly she said ‘well it’s just obvious what they are!’ Another student could always hear G and when I asked her how, she said it had a special sound gave her a certain feeling inside. Another could always hear B, but couldn’t explain why. Although these 3 students had certain notes they could identify immediately, they still needed time to identify the other notes. I wonder why this is? What is it about those notes that they remembered? What connections are they making?

Some students found the whole concept of recognising intervals hard to grasp and even when I sang for them and showed them by counting on my fingers how many notes I had sung they still couldn’t get it. Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised as it is the first time that many of them have encountered these kind of questions. I am sure if we carry on with the game for a few more weeks they will start to understand and be able to play without my help. For this kind of aural training to be effective it can’t just be used as and when. Time needs to be allocated regularly to using the game.[1] Strangely one of the students who struggled the most, although a beginner violinist, has been learning piano and attending solfege lessons every week for 3 years. I wonder what she has learnt during those lessons?



[1] Brown, Music Technology and Education [Electronic Resource], 71. 

Comments

Popular Posts