What is that note?


In April I started having violin lessons again for the first time in more than 20 years. This is also part of the Teaching Musician Course I am doing at Trinity Laban. 

In my first lesson my teacher showed me a scale book and asked if I had one. I don't because I didn’t see the point of scale books - it is obvious which note comes next so why do you need the music? As he flicked through the book to 3 and 4 octave scales I saw high notes I had never seen in my life! I commented that I had no idea what those notes even were and he said, ‘that is exactly why you need a scale book. It is how you make the connection (that word again!) in your brain between the notes on the stave and where they are on the violin.’  I then looked closer at the page he had open and realised that I did know how to play those scales and so I had played those notes, but because I had never played them whilst looking at music and had never played pieces of music which contained them I couldn’t recognise them. Making these new connections is something I am now working on as more and more of the pieces I am learning seem to have ridiculously high notes in them!

I have taught all my students to play scales without notation. I thought it was more important for them to become familiar with the sound of the scale and how to produce those sounds on the violin than it was for them to be able to read all those notes immediately. The idea that children should learn sound before symbol rather than the other way around is widely recognised.[1] For example, Suzuki followed the logic that just as children learn to speak before they can read, so they should learn to play music before they can read the notation and Mainwaring advocated that the most musical way to teach an instrument is by linking sound with action.[2],[3]  I introduced playing pieces from notation to my students quite early on so I haven't stuck strictly to the sound before symbol idea, but now having had this conversation with my teacher and realising that I could benefit from playing scales from notation I am wondering if and at what point it I should introduce this to my students. Would it help them make some missing connections?


McPherson, Edited By Richard Parncutt & Gary E. The Science & Psychology of Music Performance. Oxford University Press. Accessed March 7, 2016. https://www.dawsonera.com/abstract/9780195350173.

McPherson, Gary E., (Author). “From Child to Musician: Skill Development during the Beginning Stages of Learning an Instrument.” Psychology of Music 33, no. 1 (2005): 5–35.




[1] McPherson, “From Child to Musician,” 7.
[2] McPherson, The Science & Psychology of Music Performance, 102.
[3] Ibid., 103.

Comments

Popular Posts